View Single Post
Old 23-06-2020, 10:59   #698
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post

If you were to complain you've been treated unfairly in relation to your co-workers, say you get 5 days fewer holidays than everyone else, and said 'I deserve as much as holiday as anyone else' and all your boss kept saying is 'EVERYONE deserves the same' then you'll get pretty pissed off.
You’ll have to run that by me again. That’s a poor analogy.

Where are black people being told to accept less than everyone else?

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Those aren't contradictory though.

There is a difference between hiring someone because they're BAME and setting up a recruitment system that's designed to increase the number of BAME candidates that go to interview and therefore get employed.

That's where blind CVs have been shown to work, at least for opening positions early on in someone's career, because more women and BAME candidates get through to the interview stage in that system. (There is a question of if this is effective for more senior roles later on).

Hugh was responding to your claim that someone is directly hired because they're from a minority demographic. I.E That someone less capable is hired because of it. However in the system Hugh describes that isn't what happens, instead, a more diverse group of candidates get considered and the power of numbers means over enough interviews the percentage of BAME/female candidates that get employed goes up.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

Bear in mind that the BBC's biggest staffing areas have traditionally been in London (40% BAME) and Manchester (16-17%) BAME as well. In fact with all the talk of representation in media there is the London-effect in play as well. Growing up in London gives a nice step-up for anyone looking to go into the arts or journalism.
As I’ve mentioned earlier I am totally in favour of equality of opportunity.

Equality of outcome however, where you set a figure of the number of people from any background that you must employ I.e. setting the outcome, is the road to hell.

---------- Post added at 10:59 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
No one said targets didn’t exist - they said people weren’t hired because of them; they are there to provide opportunities to balance things out, but if anyone can’t meet the requirements for the job, they shouldn’t get hired.

Nice attempt at twisting words - not like you...
Piffle, I can see the next diversity report from a major ethical corporation.

“Yes , well we interviewed lots of candidates That are under represented in our organisation but we missed our diversity targets because they just weren’t good enough, and we had a much larger pool of white men to choose from, so we just went with that.”