View Single Post
Old 20-11-2018, 07:31   #4735
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That's exactly what I've been saying I'm not sure OB agrees.

I was merely trying to put my point across to OB that the world he envisages for us all wouldn't actually save us anything.

Look at HBO's deal with Sky Atlantic it would have to sell some subscriptions to make it worthwhile going alone.
It depends how you measure it. If we exclude sport from the equation, we will be getting far better value for money because the good quality content is there. Sky provide all these broadcast channels but you have to really look hard for the good stuff, tucked away within all the reality TV and other rubbish. Whereas, go to Netflix and the choice of good stuff is brilliant - it's in your face.

So when we compare Sky (including Sky Cinema) with Netflix alone, do you really think Sky provides the same volume of good content? Of course it doesn't, and yet Netflix is cheaper.

You point to the HBO deal, but you are not taking account of wholesale deals that can be done by Sky, VM and BT to lower the price to the consumer, and including that in a package of streaming services. Some, like Hayu will be 'free' of extra charge within premium packs.

The other point to make is that if you didn't want to pay for all the streaming services available, you will get to choose which to subscribe to. As has been pointed out before, you could, for example, take Netflix for six months and then Amazon, followed by StarzPlay after another six months because you are not locked into contracts. All of these services will have trial periods and special deals, so the advertised prices will be cheaper still.

As for sports, I think the price of watching some sports such as football and boxing could continue to rise, whatever happens. However, you could get a very large operator such as Amazon coming in with the determination to buck this trend. It's difficult to judge at this stage, but I do think live streaming will be the way forward in the future, despite the current problems some people experience. Such problems as well as latency should be overcome before much longer now.