Thread: Mesh Wifi
View Single Post
Old 13-09-2020, 19:06   #33
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Mesh Wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre99 View Post
cheers both - I can consider a cheap managed switch if it gets me to where I want. Isolate certain ethernet connected devices so they aer treated as Guests on the network, unable to carry out sniffing or any other risks that come with being part of a private network. Can you help with example model number switches, and what specific settings are required? I'm aware of what VLANS are, but what specific settings would then isolate that vlan from the rest of the network to make the private network secure from that vlan?
If I remember correctly when you setup vlans you aren't putting the clients (e.g. a specific pc) on the vlan, you are putting the port on the switch on the vlan. So as an example, if you had an 8 port switch and put ports 7 and 8 in vlan 1 then any devices using ports 7 and 8 wouldn't have access to the other devices on the switch and I think that goes for any other devices connected to the switch on the router or down from there. It might be easier to put a very simple access control list in place which allows those devices access to the wan port/internet connection and automatically denies access to everything else.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote