View Single Post
Old 21-02-2021, 21:44   #3721
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Whether or not an independent Scotland eventually was able to join the EU, there would have to be a hard border and tariffs, with England, Wales, and NI, and the EU.

If a Scotland-UK agreement was reached, that would block any potential EU agreement, that is unless the premise of the NI backstop situation was totally bogus.
Scotland would lose any access to any trade agreements the UK, has and may come to.
Any advantage Ireland has had from the boom in tech industries, would not be available to Scotland. What is the likelihood of new major Google type industries starting up that could set up in Scotland? Any advantage that there might be for Scotland in that situation, would apply even more so to England, Wales, and NI.
If Scotland left the UK, there's no reason why it couldn't negotiate to remain in the UK single market and customs union which would mean no hard border with the UK. And no reason why it couldn't negotiate a smilar tariff-free trade deal with the EU. I'm not sure what makes you think this is impossible.

In time, both the UK and Scotland could join the EU but it would be easier if they did so at the same time.

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Seemed to me and a lot of others as a self-evident truth.
You're still the Remainer you ever were.

I think the only political thing upon which we agree is the folly of Scottish independence.
I'm sure you and Hugh agree on hundreds of political things from the market economy to human rights to the rights of a country to defend itself with arms. No one agrees on everything which is why discussion forums are always more interesting than echo chambers.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote