Thread: A Duty To Die?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 00:10   #73
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig
Re: A Duty To Die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
I am sure we can stucture a law in such a way that it cannot be misused and allows adults the right to die with dignity at a time of their choosing if they have an incurable condition. Life is not all important if the quality of it is non existent and the way we allow some people to live on life support sometimes for many years is plain wrong. In my town we had a case where a mother for thirty years was going to visit her son every single day after he was in an accident and went into a persistent vegatitive state despite him having a so called living will long long before most people had ever heard of them much less had one. What purpose was there in maintaining him for all those years with absolutely no quality of life and yet his living will was not honoured he was technically alive and therefore that was all that mattered.

We have to get a little more realistic in dealing with this and allow people properly monitored to be able to make such decisions about their own life and when that life should come to an end. No one is or ever will advocate wholesale euthanasia in an uncontrolled way but simply saying that life is life is no longer any good. Personally if i was diagnosed with something like alzheimers i would like to be able to choose to die before all the memorys of me as i am were replaced with memorys of what i would become but as it stands right now i cannot and anyone helping me would pay for it.

i seriously doubt that you could as anything you do wont be able to stop those who can from pressurizing people into going to where ever you need to go to register that they want to do this

you can already end your life with help as long as that help will in no way benefit from your death or be in a position to persuade you to do it

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl of Bronze View Post
Quite easily Russ. Anyone who wants to pre-book (can't think of a better way to describe it right now) their assisted suicide would speak to a panel of experts. The experts would have access to the applicants medical records, and any other relevant information. They would listen, advise and help the applicant understand the process.... If everything seemed cosher, then the applicant would be free to have the assisted suicide take place at a time of their choosing. That would mean that tragic cases of people being kept alive by machines, for years on end without their loved ones being able to have closure, on what many would consider an already dead loved one would stop.... There is nothing moral, or ethical about forced treatment for brain-dead or severely brain-damaged individuals. Keeping people alive, when they may well prefer to be assisted to die given the choice is by far the more ethical and moral thing to do....

The fact that the arguments against legalising assisted suicide are those warning of the baser urges for personal gain from family. I'm more inclined to think that it's a deep seated religious dogma that makes people object to assisted suicide, or living wills that must be legally enforced. If religious people believe that all human life is sacred, and that suffering is good for the soul, then thats fine. But I'd prefer it if the religious objectors where more honest, and kept their beliefs to themselves and stopped projecting onto others. Personally I accepted my mortality many years ago, and as such don't particularly fear death. I know that most likely dying will suck ass in a big way, but I'd rather have to option of being helped out, rather than being forced to lie in a bed, crapping into a bag, and being fed through a tube in my nose.... Rather a bit of dignity, than a pointless, pityful existance because someone else objects to a fellow human dying at a time of their own choosing....
you can already stop your self being kept alive that way by putting it on record you don't want extraordinary measures taken to save or prolong your life

and my stance is nothing to do with relgion
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote