Thread: A Duty To Die?
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2010, 10:46   #66
RizzyKing

Re: A Duty To Die?

I am sure we can stucture a law in such a way that it cannot be misused and allows adults the right to die with dignity at a time of their choosing if they have an incurable condition. Life is not all important if the quality of it is non existent and the way we allow some people to live on life support sometimes for many years is plain wrong. In my town we had a case where a mother for thirty years was going to visit her son every single day after he was in an accident and went into a persistent vegatitive state despite him having a so called living will long long before most people had ever heard of them much less had one. What purpose was there in maintaining him for all those years with absolutely no quality of life and yet his living will was not honoured he was technically alive and therefore that was all that mattered.

We have to get a little more realistic in dealing with this and allow people properly monitored to be able to make such decisions about their own life and when that life should come to an end. No one is or ever will advocate wholesale euthanasia in an uncontrolled way but simply saying that life is life is no longer any good. Personally if i was diagnosed with something like alzheimers i would like to be able to choose to die before all the memorys of me as i am were replaced with memorys of what i would become but as it stands right now i cannot and anyone helping me would pay for it.