View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 11:21   #1
sebyoung
cf.member

sebyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Any fundamental issues that cause VOIP issues?

Hi everyone

I am trying to help a friend solve a VOIP issue. We both have the same VMB 200Mb with the same Hitron router in modem mode going into the same Draytek router. We both have the same hosted VOIP system (Horizon Unlimited), but one subtle difference is that I have an 'assured' connection for the VOIP system (basically just an ADSL connection), whereas he is trying to use his Virgin connection for this.

The relevance of the above is that we have been able to test the same setup on a different Virgin connection, to rule out the connection itself as being the issue. The issue is that when a second phone rings, the call breaks up. Initially it seemed very likely that the issue was with the Draytek or its setup (in particular QoS). However, after weeks of messing about and even trying a new router (Ubiquiti), the issue is very clearly Virgin in one way or another. I know this because if I test at my end on the Virgin connection, my phones suffer the same issue. But connected to the same Draytek router but on ADSL, there are no issues. I hope this all makes sense.

So, given that we have been able to determine the issue lies with Virgin, is anyone aware of any fundamental issues, either with the Virgin service or the Hitron router, that might be causing this? My guess is that it's the Hitron that's the issue, even in modem mode, but can't be sure of that.

In summary:

Virgin (modem mode) > Draytek WAN2 > VOIP = call quality issues
Draytek (ADSL) > VOIP = no issues

Thanks in advance.
sebyoung is offline   Reply With Quote