View Single Post
Old 22-05-2020, 19:31   #1335
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Didn't he say 2035?
Yes - in this thread, post #303 from 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
If you go back to all my posts on this, you will see that I have been looking towards 2035 (originally 20 years ahead but less now)!

It will be a gradual process at first, but that will speed up as fast broadband speeds become available throughout the country and more people become used to on demand viewing. The reduction in audience levels for the conventional TV channels will lead to reduced advertising revenues and ultimately, these channels will start closing down.

Some have said that the BBC won't be affected as they don't carry commercials, but even they are working on the basis that in 15 years' time' streaming and on demand viewing will be the focus.

Others have said that we will always see conventional channels for showing sport, but we can all see the trend towards streaming of live sport - the new Eleven Sports streaming service being the latest example.
But 5 years ago, in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris

You think that was easy?

Try reading the last several months worth of posts in this thread. The reasons why linear TV is not going to end any time in the foreseeable future are many, and have been set out, repeatedly, in this discussion. There are those here that love Netflix (or whatever) and find it impossibly hard to understand why anyone should feel differently. That leads them to make manifestly silly assertions about broadcast TV being switched off within 10 years.

It may have escaped your notice, but the BBC is currently engaged in the charter renewal process, which will grant it a royal charter for the next 10 years. In other words, it is blatantly obvious that Old Boy's original claim in this thread is false. The BBC will still be broadcasting linear TV channels on Christmas Day 2025. If the BBC guarantees the market, then other broadcasters will also still be there. They will all still be there in 2035 as well. And beyond.
In ten years? You may be right. In 20? Do you remember what it was like watching TV 20 years ago? In 1995, analogue cable TV was just being rolled out and most people did not have the Internet.

Given all the changes that can happen in a short space of time, particularly now, with technological advances being made at an ever faster rate, I don't think it wise to be saying that the existing linear TV model will still exist, at least in its present form, in the longer term.

And as for the BBC, I did not say that it would not exist in ten years. There's not a reason that I can think of why the BBC should not present all of its programmes by way of streaming in the future.

Incidentally, the BBC may be the last to depart from linear TV broadcasting, given that their channels do not waste 15 minutes of every hour showing commercials!
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 22-05-2020 at 19:35.