View Single Post
Old 22-05-2020, 11:47   #1332
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree that jfman didn't actually say it would cost tuppence to run a linear channel. He actually said it would cost 'buttons', which is much the same thing. I acknowledge his caveat, but I have never questioned that.

According to your links, the BBC want to increase funding for BBC3, which is fine. However, given the dearth of new programming on BBC4, it is amazing that the channel costs as much as it does to run.
You didn’t acknowledge the caveat in your reply to Den. That’s the point.

Even in this post you are conflating the cost of running a linear channel (including content) and creating a linear broadcast (from content you own and are likely streaming.

Not once have you ever demonstrated how and when linear ceases to be viable. Switch on a TV and press 1 is always going to hold some value because of it’s prominence and it works if your internet provider goes down. https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/28/thous...ours-12619391/