View Single Post
Old 27-02-2019, 13:30   #611
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I do accept that others have a different point of view, Chris. Isn't the point of a discussion forum that you express your view?

Incidentally, do you still stand by your comment, made a few years ago I think, that there will be insufficient electricity for on demand/streaming services to be viable as an alternative to broadcast TV in the future? Or have you had a subtle change of mind since then?

That certainly sounds crazy now.

Events will prove you wrong.
If you find the post where I said that, you will also find the statistics I used to show that the UK national grid lacks the capacity to light up all the fibre that would be required to deliver the total viewing of all UK households over IP as opposed to the present mix of IP and broadcast. I actually don’t have the time or the inclination to do the work for you - feel free to search and post the link.

Sadly for you, “that certainly sounds crazy now” isn’t an effective counter-argument. What you need is some statistics showing projected growth in the UK’s energy production and distribution infrastructure. And while you’re at it, don’t forget to factor in other future uses of that infrastructure for which we are presently ill-prepared, principally charging all-electric vehicles.

Clearly you have plenty of time on your hands so I’m going to assume, if you don’t post the figures that back up your assertion, that you found the figures disagree with you.

Now, off you pop.