View Single Post
Old 27-02-2019, 12:52   #606
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Call it 'speculation' on the part of the BBC if you want to, jfman, but it is what the BBC believe and it is with that in mind that they will be preparing their negotiations in ten years' time. That BBC view chimes with what the media industry believes. Why you continue to spit in the wind with your 'nothing will change' arguments, I cannot fathom.

You are correct in saying that DTT bandwidth has not been reallocated yet, but as that won't happen for some years yet, I don't think that is a relevant point. Incidentally, you may have overlooked the fact that this process has already commenced elsewhere in Europe.

Yes, I stand by my 'hardly stimulating' comment. That's not being rude to anyone, it's just a statement of fact. However, it is just as easy to click on a streaming service and click on the first programme you see on there as it is to select a channel and fall back in the armchair in a hypnotic state.

Your argument around Sky seems confused, as if the view you express invaliidates my argument. The existing satellite system will soon be complemented by an IPTV system, and although the two systems will exist side by side for probably a decade, it is very likely that their system will be IPTV only after that, when existing satellites are due for replacement. The IPTV system Sky design to replace satellite tv will be a better version of Now TV, and it will be based on the 'on demand' features rather than live tv. In the early days, of course, it will have both, with an ability to record the scheduled programmes. The design of it, I believe, will lead to a better acceptance of viewing by VOD.

Sky could retain Premiership sports rights now that they are a part of the larger Comcast stable, but that isn't guaranteed. It may be that BT is the first casualty of the increasing interest shown by the global streaming companies. If you really believe that Amazon and other companies don't have the financial clout to outbid either BT or Sky, you are deluding yourself.
Once again you are conflating huge cash reserves and profits for the ability to make a return on investment going forward. All of these companies have money now - the technology is there - but they don’t bid.