View Single Post
Old 02-07-2020, 16:43   #21
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Apple to transition Macs to their own chipset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think there would be surprise if Apple doesn't outperform the equivalent intel chips when they first come out. After all they're posting very competitive scores with their phones and iPads at the moment and those devices have to consume less power and generate less heat than their laptop counterparts.

The advantages may only come from efficiency but that's sort of the point. In laptops and anything that doesn't have the luxury of being able to generate a lot of heat and a lot of power it may be that ARM can get better performance than x86 for the same heat/power draw.
I think there's going to be a big distinction between Apple's ARM chips compared to the intel equivalent and Apple's ARM chips compared to previous Apple implementations of those chips.

This is something I watched recently and is related to the subject. Essentially, Apple's recent devices haven't been particularly great at thermal management of those chips. I think at one point in the video Linus speculates if it's deliberately bad so that when it comes to the ARM chip switch, it doesn't look like you're loosing much (any?) ground. While that's a throwaway comment and not meant to be taken seriously, I do think there's possibly a sliver of truth to it.

So you'll have this situation where you'll see comparable or even better performance than the previous gen Apple machines, but realistically the performance won't actually beat x86 if x86 has adequate cooling. In other words Apple will use murky comparisons to skew things in their favour. And maybe that's fine, because you can argue that it's a strength of ARM to require less cooling, but you can tell from the Video that Apple really half-arsed their cooling.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote