View Single Post
Old 31-08-2015, 23:18   #1314
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
It didn't.

It turns out that the processor, although it is powerful enough, doesn't support NX! Windows 8 and 10 require this. (Intel Pentium 4 540) I have found a single core processor that will fit my board and has NX support. (Intel Pentium 4 524) £6.80 eBay. I'll give this a try when it arrives.
Is it too old a board for a Core 2? Or a Pentium D?

My old 915 chipset board was P4 only - No dual cores, not even the Pentium D ... The 540 and similar may logically appear as if dual, but it's a single core with hyperthreading.

With a 945 chipset, you're generally up to Pentium D dual core - and with an updated VRM, Core 2 Duo but not the higher FSB ones.

PS. Wow the Pentium D seems to come up cheaper than the P4 - probably because of the small window when boards could take a Pentium D Dual but not the vastly superior Core 2 Duo
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote