View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 14:30   #780
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It will become a more convoluted and expensive new world for many.

Purely personal preference but Disney has very little that's going to be on its Disney streaming service that interests me so not sure I'd bother.
I agree and have drawn the same conclusion. However, if the Hulu strand is added to it, I would be interested, depending on the content and how much of it there is that I would want to watch.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Lets see if VM and Sky can be the aggregators that they claim to be and offer all the streamers on their service under their own interface. The fact that it's taken VM this long to offer Amazon Prime, doesn't seem to bode well in this regard. BUT...

Comparing tv channels with streamers is like comparing apples to oranges. They are not the same thing. Unless Sky run one of their "special" channels, you've never been able to access all Star Wars films before outside buying the DVDs.

I think people will mix and match streamers and take different ones each month, depending on what new shows/films are on the services.
I think there was a particular issue with Prime, because Liberty Global pulled it from the negotiations with Virgin Media.

They were quick with Netflix, Amazon and Hayu, though, so let's hope Amazon Prime was an exception.

I still say that in terms of drama and documentaries, there will be better value for money, and a much better choice than pay-tv offers. From time to time, where particular programmes people want to see are on SVOD services that they are not subscribed to, they will temporarily stop one subscription and start another.

I do think also that as material becomes about 5 years old on any streamer, many programmes will be made available elsewhere, either exclusively or on a non-exclusive basis.

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In my opinion its still a pipe dream with the exception of Disney I don't see many brave enough to go it alone outside the USA.

I still see the others licensing content to third parties.
If they do, I would imagine that they will give the content rights to the SVOD services rather than the pay-tv channels.