View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 13:11   #776
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Here's something interesting - probably will get reported as 'off topic' - according to the BARB cable in the UK peaked in Q3 2013.

https://www.barb.co.uk/tv-landscape-...y-tv-platform/

4.17 million households.

However, our good friends at Virgin Media made disclosures to the stock exchange saying something different.

http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/fix...ease-FINAL.pdf

3.74 million subscribers.

For completeness, Virgin also state in a footnote that the 3.74 million includes those who don't pay a recurring monthly fee for a television service but have a STB alongside telephone/broadband service (equivalent of the old TV M package) and that 89% of the TV base do pay a recurring monthly fee for TV.

It's actually quite difficult to estimate these figures which is why I'm curious to know what the source was and where estimates were used on what basis they were arrived at.
I never viewed the M tv package as masking their true tv figures before, but now you've posted that, I do.

Their situation as regards to their pay tv numbers, are worse than I had previously thought.

I missed that bit in their footnotes.

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It will become a more convoluted and expensive new world for many.
All depends on price of services and how many services are taken at the same time.

If you want all content at all times, then yes it will get very expensive, but streaming gives you the option to choose what you want each month, rather than paying for bundles of channels that you never watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Purely personal preference but Disney has very little that's going to be on its Disney streaming service that interests me so not sure if bother.
Doesn't interest me either, but those who want all Star Wars, all Marvel/superheroes stuff, all Pixar stuff, many of the Disney animated classics, will love it.

I'm more interested to see if Disney launch a international version of Hulu or bolt on Hulu content onto their global Disney+ service.

Last edited by Horizon; 02-05-2019 at 13:15.