Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeak View Post
Your gut feeling is wrong.

Full disclaimer:

I have no association with Phorm, BT or any interest in getting work in this manner. I know people in BT working in web analytics and data mining, I don't know anyone at Phorm. I am interested in data mining and am part of a number of different organisations, online groups and am regarded by many as an expert in web analytics, marketing and data analysis.

I work for a company called Trainers' House Satama as a consultant and I am based in Helsinki Finland.

I don't need to tout for work because the demand for my skills is very high due to the lack of people in my line of work.

I didn't intend to attract a whole new set of visitors to my site by writing my post, it was simply picked up by someone, posted here and then I got a whole lot of comments on my site. I intended to open a debate with my peers and regular Blackbeak readers whom have so far not commented though it is a weekend and probably most of them have better things to do than read my blog.

I know what can and can't be extracted from a lot of different web analytics tools. I am writing this looking at a browser tool (the Google Toolbar) that allows Google to see every website I visit. They know everything about my web browsing habits. And I don't care. Because i know how difficult it would be to pinpoint me as an individual and figure out who I am. I also know that it would be a complete WASTE OF THEIR TIME to do so. What's the point of knowing one persons behavior?

So to continue this debate here, please tell me the value of Phorm or BT to know the browsing habits of individuals? What business reason would they have for that? Think about it. The value comes from the aggregation of the data not from being to tell what you or I are doing individually.
ok lets look at the bigger picture, and then I will give you my view, which will shock some people, and will tout contraversy.

Main points to consider:

- BT have all the PII for each individual user on their systems.
- Phorm will create a profile of each user's browing habits
- This will take place at BT Exchange 21CN
- BT intend to offer a DPI Product to LLU and non LLU ADSL Providers at their exchange 21CN
- The UK Government are creating the new Communications Act to ensure that the UK complies with European Directive 2006/24/EC
- The UK Government (HO) appear to have maybe backed the Phorm System
- The UK Governmental Departments are passing the buck from one to another

Now my view:

The Phorm System will be implemented at the 21CN Complex, and offered to other Providers, to Channel the Data from their End Users at a small cost. Subsequently giving BT the lead, in the UK and possibly Europe, as they will have the Technology* in place to 'Channel' various aspects of the Internet, thus placing the whole question of Net Neutrality stongly in doubt. (*The Technology required is the same as what has been stated that Phorm require for their operations)

Additionally, the UK Government will have a 'One Stop' Destination to compile the Data that is required for them to comply with European Directive 2006/24/EC; and it would not be difficult for the UK Government to indicate that Phorm should either record this Data on their behalf, or channel Data to Servers Specifically for the collection of the Data, which would be monitored and collected by a Government body. (Which in my view is why there is little friction from the Goverment as they would have a platform in place to utilise)

The papers produced after the 2006 Trials strongly indicate that there was an emphasis to hide the system from the End User and Web Masters, rendering the System completely Transparent. Additionally, the same papers indicate that the IP Addresses for the Trialists were made available to Phorm, so that Phorm could direct the correct webpage to the correct Browser. Strongly indictating that the public should not be aware of the system.

This has blown the claim by Phorm out of the water that they do not use PII**, and has created further doubt to whether the updated version of the System will also use PII, this will now need clear verification to either prove or disprove. (**The European Data Commission had indicated that the IP Address for any Internet User IS PII)

In my view, the entire Phorm Saga is a small part of a bigger puzzle, and this is a brief summary.

@ BT, Phorm, and UK Government: The statement above is NOT a statement of fact, however is a personal Interpretation of the facts presented in the past few months. This statement is CLEARLY NOT making any allegations, defamatory comments, Slanderous remarks - it is the view of one individual speaking to others, as he would in regards of such a debate in his Front Room with his friends and family. The 'Bulleted' Facts are 100% correct, as you cannot deny, the rest is all hypothetical in nature. Cmon sue me...