View Single Post
Old 15-06-2008, 14:45   #8948
Blackbeak
Inactive

Blackbeak is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post
I notice your a member of the DataShaping group, interested in data mining?
Could be some work for you in Phorm and the like.

Sorry I don't agree with what you say. My gut feelings are that your could be somebody who is touting for work in this area or that you could already in K*ts pocket. I also see many holes in your replied comments on your site.

I would suggest to all we keep our debate on this site and the others we feed off and not Google-boost this another site in the discussions. Lets not fall into any possible traps. He is obviously an expert in data analysis and certainly will know how to boost his site in the Phorm debate rankings by our visits. If Blackbeak wishes to debate here by all means he can do so.
Your gut feeling is wrong.

Full disclaimer:

I have no association with Phorm, BT or any interest in getting work in this manner. I know people in BT working in web analytics and data mining, I don't know anyone at Phorm. I am interested in data mining and am part of a number of different organisations, online groups and am regarded by many as an expert in web analytics, marketing and data analysis.

I work for a company called Trainers' House Satama as a consultant and I am based in Helsinki Finland.

I don't need to tout for work because the demand for my skills is very high due to the lack of people in my line of work.

I didn't intend to attract a whole new set of visitors to my site by writing my post, it was simply picked up by someone, posted here and then I got a whole lot of comments on my site. I intended to open a debate with my peers and regular Blackbeak readers whom have so far not commented though it is a weekend and probably most of them have better things to do than read my blog.

I know what can and can't be extracted from a lot of different web analytics tools. I am writing this looking at a browser tool (the Google Toolbar) that allows Google to see every website I visit. They know everything about my web browsing habits. And I don't care. Because i know how difficult it would be to pinpoint me as an individual and figure out who I am. I also know that it would be a complete WASTE OF THEIR TIME to do so. What's the point of knowing one persons behavior?

So to continue this debate here, please tell me the value of Phorm or BT to know the browsing habits of individuals? What business reason would they have for that? Think about it. The value comes from the aggregation of the data not from being to tell what you or I are doing individually.