View Single Post
Old 24-06-2019, 08:18   #12
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Iran-US crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It doesn’t sit quite right with me. I mean yes, obviously it’s better that 150 people just going about their day jobs haven’t been blown to hell, but as for Trump’s motivation? I keep thinking about the scene in Schindler’s List where the concentration camp commandant who is partial to randomly shooting inmates from his office window, just because he can, decides not to shoot one after being persuaded that the true measure of power is compassion and restraint. In that case, it was an appeal to his vanity that caused him to stay his hand, but his true nature reasserted itself soon enough and the next prisoner he spotted, got shot dead, just because he could.

I think Trump is known for acts of narcissism, not for acts of compassion.
I read that he may have doubled back when reminded that his core voter base expected him to withdraw from foreign conflicts, not start them and so his 2020 chances may be impacted.