View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 01:40   #4441
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
If the EU Court decides we can revoke article 50 unilaterally then I imagine it will have to be on the current terms since there is no mechanism for the EU to impose conditions. That said it would be fraught for a bit and we would need to fight our corner strongly....

Whole thing is a mess. I really wish there was a middle ground between the referendum and no deal Brexit that had a majority of people behind it. Both sides are playing all or nothing on this, pushing the country to the brink in the hope their side wins.

I don't know why the ERG are willing to risk Brexit because it's not perfect or why Remainers won't back a Norway option if it came to the table because they think they can overturn the referendum.

Worst of all nothing is getting done in this country for the last two years. It's all been consumed with Brexit and there is no end in sight.
I think that could be the silver lining of all this mess, it's stopped the Government from meddling

Since Thatcher, all Governments have passed a lot of legislation, much of it useless/pointless or undoing the legislation passed by their predecessor. In particular, health and education have both called for a period of stability in the past, but each new Government thinks it has the perfect plan to end all ills.

---------- Post added at 01:40 ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Well, a curve ball could be the Brexit vote being declared void so we could withdraw Article 50.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8668771.html
Now wouldn't this be a convenient get out clause for the Government to be able to say that the referendum was void and so Brexit must be cancelled?

Alternatively, it would allow them to be able to say that a new referendum must be held and that it's not their fault, they have no alternative.

It would also give the electorate another chance to come up with the 'right' answer.

Edit: Just read that the EU have said that we can keep our rebate if we decide to stay.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 06-12-2018 at 01:49. Reason: Extra info.