View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 18:45   #6745
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Don't be the Messenger of bad tidings MM as you know it won't go down well with OB.
I only tell it as I see it, Den. What will be, will be.

I wish Britbox well but I won't be subscribing myself, at least while the offerings remain as they are.

In the longer term, it may be that Britbox replaces the linear channels, at which time it will increase its popularity considerably. If it hasn't fallen over by then, of course.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It will struggle in my opinion for several reasons

1. Only available on TV from launch on Samsung TV and Apple TV.
2. On the link posted here today it says they'll still have content on Netflix , Amazon etc.
3. Many pay TV deals in place for archive BBC and ITV content for those who have traditional pay TV.
4. iPlayer has certain Boxsets available
5. UKTV still show many of the old shows.
6. Too much competition from bigger global players many of which they are still making content available on.
My comments are:

1. You can also access Britbox on the Amazon Fire stick via Firefox. However, I am very surprised that they should have so few platforms from which to launch this service. Even Roku doesn't have it yet, despite the fact that Apple+ launched on the platform on day one. I think it was a huge omission not to have Britbox up and running on Sky, Virgin, BT and Talk Talk.It sounds to me that maybe it has been a bit rushed.

2. I guess there are contractual reasons for not pulling the material from other platforms, but it will be interesting to see whether any newer stuff from the terrestrials finds its way there.

3. True.

4. Also true.

5. Hazarding a guess, I think the UKTV channels will be withdrawn at some point, but it does depend on the extent to which these channels are regarded as taking away potential subscribers from Britbox.

6. I can't see many people ditching Netflix or Amazon for Britbox. Britbox is going to appeal to a particular type of audience at the moment - those who really like the UKTV channels in particular. Others will be attracted to it when the number of originals on it make it worthwhile.