View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 17:03   #3132
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: U.S President: Donald Trump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Oh we talking about lawsuits... that's civil law not criminal law.

Libel laws are weak in the U.S he won't/can't sue and likely win.
I am aware of that, but Hugh just said court cases, he didn't specify civil or criminal. But assuming they still exist, it's likely that the author kept them as a defence against any action (civil or criminal).

I know Trump said Libel laws are weak, and I know that I am no expert on law, but I find it surprising that arguably one of the most litigious societies on earth has weak libel laws.

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Well, whether Trump said shithole or not, it's given newscasters across the world permission to use the word, live on air, before the watershed...
True.

I have to admit, I am a little surprised people are expressing shock that this kind of language is used. I've long thought it likely that a lot of politicians talk that bluntly in secret while being polite in front of the countries themselves. I have read in the past that politics is the art of using one hand to shake a person's hand warmly while using the other to maneuver the knife into their back.

Note: While I think that other politicians do it, it does not in any way mean I am saying they are right to do it. Personally, I don't think they are. If you have a problem with someone, you should be open with them. It is entirely possible to do this politely and with respect.