View Single Post
Old 31-01-2017, 08:45   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Could Quest be coming to Freesat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's a channel on Freeview that's owned by Discovery and shows a back catalogue of their previous pay TV material.

Sky have thus far kept it off Freesat by paying Discovery to encrypt it (AFAIK they do this with Dave too).

I think it's ok to speculate on the possible outcomes of the current Sky V Discovery carriage dispute and how the outcome may benefit Freesat viewers.

I have a suspicion that UKTV weren't satisfied with their carriage renewal offer and only agreed to the price if Sky let them put Yesterday, Drama and Really onto Freesat and Home onto Freeview.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

I didn't realise that it wasn't on a spot beam transponder.

I wonder if rights issues would be ok since Discovery make most (all?) of their own programming??

Also, they have been testing two channels off the EPG. These are currently showing time shifts of Discovery Shed and Discovery Home & Health.

I'm not sure if these are spot beam transponders, if they are maybe the purpose of these is to accommodate Quest and another channel??
Decent spot beam capacity is still relatively novel to the UK. Certainly it is recent enough that many broadcasters, last time they negotiated carriage, didn't have it as an option, and were more or less compelled to use a pan-European beam with Sky's encryption even if they intended to be FTV.

As more and more old contracts come up for renewal we should, hopefully, slowly see more channels going fully FTA.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote