View Single Post
Old 29-04-2022, 22:29   #1491
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Surely VPN would hide them if they really wanted to hide however I am sure someone here will be able to confirm it if correct ?
Using a VPN doesn't guarantee online trolls anonymity. A lot of sites forbid their use; I believe that this is one of them.

There are calls for only those who have verified their identity to post user generated content. I have sympathy with this* as, if someone is prepared to say something online, they should be prepared to back this up as 'themselves' and face any consequences that may arise. One example would be an employee working for an employer who promotes the ethics of equal opportunity & diversity and insists that their employees espouse this too, whilst they are harrasimg & trolling someone in one of the protected groups. Hopefully the fact that they would be liable to disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal, will be enough of a deterrent.

There was one man caught by a troll hunting team. In public, he was a pillar of the community, he did voluntary work to help local residents etc. It was later revealed that he spent his evenings going down to his shed (in order to hide it from his wife) to troll a woman to the point that it made her ill. He ended up losing his job and the respect of his local community.

* I can see circumstances where this may be warranted eg Russia. I don't suppose there is any harm in people continuing to use fictitious user names in the UK, as long as their true details are available to be passed on by the site owners should any issues arise.

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I hope there are enough solicitors to cope with the demand
I'm sure that it won't come to that with the vast majority of people. A lot of offensive things aren't said out of malice, but ignorance, particularly where people have no experience of the subject matter.

Having said that, your earlier inappropriate remark about the neuro diverse really did upset me and an apology would be very much appreciated.

If you struggle to understand and empathise with those with mental illness, mental disability or learning difficulties in general, may I recommend a Radio 4 series that covers the whole spectrum of neuro diversify. It's called 'All In The Mind' and it's broadcast twice a week, but is also available on BBC Sounds here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qxx9

I do hope that you find it interesting and informative

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 29-04-2022 at 22:34. Reason: Spelling/grammar corrected by facilitator.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote