View Single Post
Old 24-02-2022, 11:40   #28
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Oscar nominations 2022

Quote:
The Academy’s plan unveiled Tuesday to cut Best Editing and seven other categories from this year’s live Oscar telecast to resuscitate viewership has received reactions of shock, disappointment, and outrage.

Falling double digits from the previous low, last year’s Oscars drew a measly audience of 10.4 million and a 2.1 rating among adults 18-49 for its April 25, 2021 primetime airing.

The plan is to record the presentation of some select categories immediately before the start of the live broadcast in front of a full audience at the Dolby Theatre. They then would be edited and ideally rolled seamlessly into the main show.

The affected categories are Film Editing, Makeup and Hairstyling, Original Score, Production Design, Sound, Documentary Short, Animated Short and Live Action Short.
https://deadline.com/2022/02/oscars-...ns-1234958682/

I feel really sorry for the people in the nominated categories. I know the majority of films nominated aren't blockbusters so you can say my following argument is mute however when it comes to huge successful films the only reason they are so successful is because every aspect of the production is at the top of its game. When we think of Game of Thrones we think of the story, the action and the characters but what would it be without music, costume & makeup and set design?

I for one am going to miss seeing the composers recognised for best original score. Apart from Dune and West Side Story I haven't watched any of the nominated films yet but just think of the awesome music and movie themes (e.g. John Williams, Alan Silvestri and Hans Zimmer) we have heard of the years and the impact they made on the films they featured in. I think it is a damn shame for those people not to get their share of the limelight.

Imho trying to streamline the ceremony isn't the answer. The people who watch it watch it for what it represents and duration is irrelevant. The problem they have every year and where the majority of the criticism always lies is with the hosts. Bring back Billy Crystal and viewership will skyrocket.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote