View Single Post
Old 22-08-2019, 13:31   #6159
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
If a series link is set, it will suddenly appear as a pleasant surprise next time it is repeated.
Not there and then, though which was my point. And there is no guarantee it will be repeated anyway.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Britbox will turn out to be a totally damp squib as it will arrive to a great fanfare and then disappear about a year or two later.
No, it won't be a damp squib at all. There will be original content on there that isn't available anywhere else, as well as tons of archive material, some of which is currently on Gold, Aibi and the like. You were one of the people who chastised me for saying that the UKTV channels were poor value because most of their material was repeats. You said that there were many people who loved watching programmes over and over. You can't have it both ways.

People will take Britbox for both the original material and for the archive material. Look how popular the i-Player has become.

By the way, this is what will replace the main terrestrial channels and, I believe, the i-Player and ITV Hub in the fullness of time.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Regarding Britbox i'm a bit surprised that they didn't try to get channel 4 and channel 5 onboard too.
They have been in discussions with Channel 4 and it may well be they will get on board soon. Not sure about whether Chanel 5 will join the club - it would be a neat solution if they did.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

[QUOTE=jfman;36007062]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Maybe you should expand on that argument, particularly given that this mantra of yours contradicts what the industry itself believes will happen.

In fact, I've been using the economic arguments for some time to add to my case that the streamers will take over from the scheduled channels.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

You haven't demonstrated that it won't be viable for major content owners - who will be streaming - to maintain a linear presence.

Channels are viable with small tens of thousands of viewers such is the low cost of broadcast television.
Yes, if they show old or rubbish content. Why would the popular channels incur unecessary expense by getting expensive rights to air on a pay tv channel when they need only load up to a streamer?

You're the economist, you tell me.