View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 19:40   #5995
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I fail to see how that is not pertinent - you yourself see a glorious future of multiple streaming options, consumers opting in for a month at a time, binging on content and moving on.

$20bn is a lot of £8.99s a month. Especially when they're having to heavily increase their spend on content due to the studios planning their own options and keeping their own content.

You portray this as a threat to Sky, but bizarrely not Netflix?
On the maths, you work out what 151 million customers paying $10 is worth. A lot of wonga.

And I just mentioned about the studios keeping their own content and it appears that doesn't look like it will be the case according to recent interviews all the companies have done, apart from perhaps Disney. Viacom/CBS, AT&T and Comcast all seem keen on keeping some third party licensing deals in place, rather bizarrely.

That's a gamble. They get guaranteed revenues, but lose the opportunities to monetise off all their own content. But this may all change when the services actually launch.

Giving Amazon the international rights to the new Star Trek Picard show, seem bonkers to me, but that's exactly what CBS has done.

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Quote:
It's hardly an 'old chestnut'. Funding £5bn of rights and making a profit on it is a challenging task for anyone.

If you're the biggest retail company in the world that being the most effective use of £5bn in terms of a return on investment is another question altogether.
Or Apple, with their massive customer base. Or Microsoft, they seem to still have a few customers.

Quote:
I do know this, which is why the incumbents aren't in as bad a position as some would portray on this forum.

Netflix on the other hand has to pay for it's content and service the debt. A higher price point than similar services will leave it a soft target in the market.
I can't speak for what others may or may not have said, but Netflix are servicing that debt and banks are still happy to give them more. Again, 151 million customers and rising.

Disney + has zero customers because it doesn't exist yet, neither does HBO Max or the others. Netflix has a massive advantage here, can you not see that?? And if Amazon, Apple, Microsoft or even the Chinese (they're starting, Tencent bought some of Universal Music Group the other day) if these companies get serious about streaming whether it be drama or sport or everything, that is a major threat to the incumbents.