View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 19:20   #5987
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Besides, even the media companies themselves don't know how things will play out over the next few years, but at least it gives us something to talk about, as media has been pretty static until the rise of Netflix.

As I see things currently, with the (old) media companies, it's still usiness as usual apart from they're all trying to get bigger. They don't seem to understand how to "do" streaming yet.

Netflix has shown them how to "do" streaming, so my assumption was everyone else was going to copy them. I assumed wrong. All the old media cos are trying to replicate in the streaming world what they've always had, which is mulitple services, mulitple prices and a whole spaghetti western of third party licensing deals. Weren't we meant to be in a new age of doing things?

They shouldn't all be launching mulitple streamers each, but they are. They also should be keeping all their own new content on their own services, but it looks like in many cases, that won't be the case either. A good example is the Jack Ryan series. It's been great for Amazon, but its made by Viacom. It should be on Viacom's service.

CBS and Viacom will likely announce their re-merger on Monday (or soon afterwards) and then find someone else to join up with, so the original Hollywood Big 6 companies will probably be no more than four in the end, but they still don't seem to understand how Netflix has changed their industry or what they need to do to adapt to the new reality.

So, until they figure it out, I think we're quite entitled to debate the ins and outs of it too because no one can predict what will happen over the next few years, but we can all take take a good guess though.
They probably want to find out how to do it without $20bn of debt though.