View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 19:47   #5248
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, you certainly can't evidence your dismal view of the future either! You argue for the sake of it. If I posted that I thought all streaming services would contain commercials, you would have argued against it, despite your expressed view on the subject.

Sky is not looked upon as outdated at all, and in fact Comcast is looking to take advantage of Sky's Now TV site. It's the old channels that will die off, not Sky.
I’m predicting an exciting future. More diverse ways of accessing content? What’s not to like about that?

The only person predicting doom and gloom here is your end of old outdated linear television, that just so happens to be the most profitable and most popular delivery method at the minute - and will be for years to come. It costs major content owners and distributors pennies to maintain a linear presence by comparison to the content itself.

I didn't say all streaming services will carry adverts but those that seek to profit maximise (like all rational capitalists) will - and in doing so be able to charge less and gain more subscribers.

Pay-tv services could remove ads now but don’t. Streaming doesn’t change the economic reality - big businesses will pay a lot of money (and a lot more than the you and your boycott ever could) to get access. Streaming services will allow more effective targeted advertising than linear ever could.

You continue to fail to answer the simple question why basic economics (e.g. advertising pressures, costs of sports rights) doesn’t apply to streamers. It’s just television over a different delivery method.

Last edited by jfman; 05-05-2019 at 19:56.