View Single Post
Old 28-01-2021, 12:06   #8472
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
I think that will certainly be the case for the A&E Portfolio (even though it is a JV, they pretty much are autonomous hence seeing Sky History on TVPlayer for example) but once the NBCU duo leave BT and TalkTalk permanently then it does more or less leave Sky and Virgin as the only providers carrying them in the UK which is why I am inclined to think we may some changes in the short to medium term.

In regards to them leaving BT, I don't think it's Sky forcing people over but BT allowing their legacy contracts to expire until the older packages are more or less unsustainable and they can get out of carriage completely (outside of AMC) - if some of those A&E channels were to appear on Now TV, BT would just retail them without needing to manage a bundle proposition themselves.
In the scheme of things carriage on BT is pretty insignificant and won't factor into NBCUniversal's strategy for the UK versions of E! and SYFY.

They're both carried on the biggest platforms, Sky and Virgin Media. SYFY is also on NOW TV. If they continue to tick over nicely and generate income it's safe to assume that they won't be going anywhere for now. Movies 24 is another NBCUniversal channel removed from BT (on 31st March 2020) and it's still on Sky and Virgin Media.

Sky know what they are doing. BT has given up on trying to compete on TV.