Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2019, 12:55   #2629
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think you will find a change of Leader will change things considerably. For a start, a Brexiteer will have the support of the ERG and DUP. That's pretty good for a start. Refusal to rule out a 'no deal' will exercise the minds of stubborn remainers in the Conservative Party.

Labour just seem focussed on a General Election and therefore will try to wreck whatever suggestion is put forward. However, the polls that come out after the Conservatives elect their new Leader may make Corbyn less enthusiastic to have an election yet.

If the worst comes to the worst and we still cannot get a revised deal through (or the EU continues to play hardball) we simply fall out without a deal. And the sky will still be blue and there will be no cracks in it.

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

You didn't answer the question, as usual, Den? What is the point of Article 24 if it cannot be used?

I can't believe that this negative view has sucked you all in! Ask yourself - why not? The arguments I've seen to support that view are flaky in the extreme.
Someone who wants no deal will get the support of the ERG and DUP, but crucially not remainers in Parliament. The situation is exactly the same for a new PM as it was for TM.

Article 24 requires the agreement of the EU. Even Liam Fox says it’s not a viable solution. If it was viable Theresa May would have delivered it and still been PM. It’s the ultimate kick of the can.