View Single Post
Old 20-03-2020, 20:34   #7445
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This discussion has been going on, on this forum, for over 5 years now OB, how much more time do the networks need to provide enough bandwidth for just the existing streaming customer base to actually use it *instead of* sat/terrestrial linear broadcast? Because that’s the way you’ve always said we’re heading. Streaming continues to have a role in the mix but the infrastructure is way, way behind where it would have to be just for those who already have a Netflix account, to consume all of their tv via Netflix.

And re the power grid, don’t be silly - because the data networks *haven't* built out nearly enough capacity to support a fully IPTV delivered system, they aren’t drawing the sort of power that will blow every fuse in Britain. Only if they ever actually try, will we have to deal with that next, and rather serious, problem.
Bandwidth will be made available as it is needed, and as it has done up until now. The coronavirus outbreak and the measures that have been taken to counteract it were not expected. With the sudden increased demand for streaming services and working from home, this has put the whole system under strain.

I have stated repeatedly on here that the future I envisage is related to 2035. What you and my other detractors on here keep doing is looking at every new situation and claiming that my prediction has not come to pass. This is not 2035, it's 2020 unless I've just gone through a timewarp.

I would like to know why you guys keep up these same tired arguments, despite the progress you see all around you. I guess I have some sympathy with you though Chris because I know that you have virtually no internet capacity where you live, but if you did have gigabit broadband I dare say you would see the future in a different light.

The 'lack' of electricity and bandwidth that may exist now will be resolved over the decade and things will look very different. But hey, if you believe that we will simply continue as we are now, that's fine. We'll look back on your scepticism in 15 years, and will we laugh? Yes, we will, and we will recall with amazement all that crap they pushed out on those inflexible scheduled TV channels, inundated with commercials! We will split our sides remembering all those recordings we tried to squeeze into our space limited hard drives and wonder how we managed before VOD and bookmarking. Oh, the good old days!

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

Virgin Media have negotiated a deal with NBC/Universal to bring their customers new cinema releases to help compensate for the cinemas being impacted by the Coronavirus.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...versal-at-home