View Single Post
Old 26-04-2022, 13:29   #1460
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Once again I have to point out that "inappropriate things" is completely subjective - inappropriate in whos opinion exactly ?

Now you really are taking the pee.
How does anyone take action on something they know nothing about ?
Common sense will dictate what is clearly inappropriate, for example bullying, harrassment, encouragement of suicide etc.

Some things less so, depending upon the attitude/life experiences of site owners/managers. This is where extra training would be useful. I've seen nothing to suggest that the Government will be providing any, but that's not to say they won't be doing so. Perhaps private companies will offer this??

An example of a scenario where it may not be immediately obvious that published comments are offensive/inappropriate could be where a member of a forum/chat room/social media platform is deliberately vague, yet repeatedly & deliberately disparaging about minority groups.

The law will indeed expect inappropriate material to be removed, even where it hasn't been reported.

Amendments to the t&c"s and rules are probably good places to start to prevent the material from being published in the first place.

Other measures could include revisiting the lists of banned words, AI, pro-active (as opposed to re-active) moderation.

These last two are things that you already do on your own site to prevent people from publishing inappropriate remarks.

I do hope that the Government make it clear what is expected of everybody concerned. This is why my personal opinion is that extra training is made available for site managers/moderators etc.

This is essential as the law has been designed, not to cover every specific situation rigidly, but to be flexible enough to be able to deal with current and future scenarios.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 26-04-2022 at 13:34.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote