View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 20:20   #25
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Irish referendum on abortion May 25 2018

Yeah I mean I made that as part of my statement before and then after the election - the Tories are not only being propped up by the DUP but the failure of the SNP in Scotland. If Sturgeon had hung on to maybe 3 of those seats, May would not be PM today. Their failure allows her to cling onto her seat.

They were offset by huge losses in the UK though where traditional Tory voters all just did not get out to vote.

That gay marriage vote cost Cameron - he placated the Euro-skeptics in his party in 2015 and they went out and voted for him but after the gay marriage vote traditional voters just would not go near the man. They gave him a majority in 2015 to get what they could out of him but will never go near the Tory party again after this.

I do not know how much stock to put into articles like this but it was clear how much the older generation loathed Cameron for his vote on gay marriage:

https://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/...he-referendum/

Quote:
The same is true for gay marriage. So many who voted Leave opposed gay marriage. True, many of us had serous doubts about David Cameron from the beginning but it was the railroading of gay marriage under the ‘Conservative’ banner during the Coalition that finally and completely lost us from the Cameron camp. After the casual dismissal of deeply held concerns, David Cameron could never again count on the personal support of so many instinctive Conservatives. Like the poll tax before it, gay marriage lost Cameron more political support than it gained. When the big issue – the EU referendum – came along, there was no trust, no personal loyalty and no personal support for the Prime Minister. Had he handled gay marriage differently, likely he would have won the EU referendum and still been in office.
Scotland doesn't seem to have as much of a traditional mindset so it didn't effect Scottish seats directly but the gay marriage vote did, as a whole.

Even then, though gay marriage is one thing but the way that Sinn Fein go about life is just outright filth. The same way with abortion / the Irish language / Orange day / the EU etc etc. It is like one big circus act.

Last edited by Chloé Palmas; 03-06-2018 at 20:25.
Chloé Palmas is offline   Reply With Quote