View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 14:26   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
There appear to be some contradictions from a few of the final posts in the previous thread - can OLD BOY clarify, please?

Are the BBC planning not to use the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review in 2027, or in the mid-2030s?
Ok, I’ll bite.

There are no contradictions. On your specific points:

1. It’s jfman who’s suggesting 2037, not me. I am basing what I believe will happen on what the government has stated on broadband rollout. Clearly, if the government changes its position on this or fails to meet its target, that changes things. I cannot be responsible for that.

2. You have highlighted:

‘The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.’

I presume you are focussing on that 2027 review date. At no point have I said the change from transmitter broadcasting will happen from that date. I have always said that should be in place by 2035. The licence fee review is likely to require the BBC to go to the subscription model (perhaps with an AVOD option) at some time during the period prior to the next licence fee review - probably within about five years of that date.

3. As I understand it, the BBC is planning to cease broadcasting via the current transmitter system by the mid 2030s. Which neatly fits in with everything I’ve been saying for the last five years.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 03-03-2021 at 14:31.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote