Thread: Coronavirus
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 07:44   #7454
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc View Post
From what I understand, they are saying that your natural immunity to some viruses wanes over time (potentially as they mutate - I don't think they've ever really been sequencing things like noroviruses or colds as much as they have with covid-19) which means that the longer you're not exposed to a cold virus the more likely you are to get ill with one (and probably the more you are the more likely your immune system will be able to recognise it and fight it off.

The viruses are still circulating as they have reservoirs in other species (which may or may not cause the same illness) for example noro is in shellfish and oysters so even if humans aren't getting them they're still out there.

I suppose one possibility is that if we say that it takes 20 mutations of a cold virus to make it swerve your immunity, and that it does 1 mutation every month, if you get exposure to a cold virus 5 months after your previous one your immune system will recognise it from the one it saw 5 months ago and know what to do, so you either don't get ill or don't get it as badly; but if you've gone the full 20 months then it's unrecognisable (in the theoretical situation) so you'll get the full effects of it.

So if the measures put in place to combat covid (whether or not they actually worked, we have mixed less with others) stop other viruses spreading too (which is logical) it's entirely correct that you'll see a spike in other things, which is exactly what the CMO said in the summer.
Thanks for that.

You've got me worried about eating raw oysters now!

My advice is at your risk.