View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 23:32   #58
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Analogue Cable Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
TEN: The Movie Channel launched on Redifusion in March 1984 and a second film channel called Prem1ere launched less than six months later.

TEN: The Movie Channel closed and was quicky replaced in June 1985 by MirrorVision. MirrorVision that lasted less than a year being being taken over by Prem1ere.

Prem1ere carried on until 1989 when it closed as it was unable to compete again Sky and BSB for film rights. By this time it was carried on satellite but for cable operators only and was one of the first pirated film channels.

Bravo and HVC were also film channels exclusive to cable from September 1985 - Bravo later changed format and carried other programme and moved to satellite.
Some interesting information there ozsat, I never knew that Bravo was initially a film channel. By the time I first saw Bravo in (I think it came to analogue satellite in 1993), it showed a mixture of films and general entertainment programmes. Many were in black and white and their marketing phrase was 'Timewarp Television'. After some time it was decided that they could increase their ratings by scrapping all monochrome material and showing colour programming only.

Interesting that years later Talking Pictures found a gap in the market for historical films and programmes.

Do you know if HVC was any connection to the video rental store (I think it was HVC, or was it MVC) and if Prem1ere had any connection to the German movie channel Premier that was on analogue satellite in the 90's?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 09-08-2018 at 23:36.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote