View Single Post
Old 31-07-2018, 10:56   #1
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Analogue Cable Memories

Hi!

I grew up with the analogue cable service (CableTel, which then became NTL and is now Virgin), I'm still really fascinated by it! (don't judge!)

When we switched to digital in 2002 (NTL had a purple/pink EPG on digital, Pace box, +I loved when they did updates, fascinated me!!), I asked the engineer if we could keep the analogue box because I really felt it would be historically relevant somewhat (I was 8!!!), said 'no' but still have the 'Jerrold' remote somewhere. Wish I could have just said why I wanted it. We had the old box since 1998/99.

The box was a GI CFT-2100/2000, am I right in thinking these got sold to companies in less developed countries in the end? I tried looking it up on YouTube a while ago and these boxes were mainly being used in foreign places (in 2012 at least) so I assume that's where they all went?

Something else interesting, all the manhole covers on the pavement here, all over where I live still say GI/General Instrument/CableTel (may have seen a Jerrold one somewhere). Panels on the outside and inside walls of the house say CableTel. Kind of weird to think all the wiring is the same after ~20 years, still works and is capable of carrying so much different information so well.

Another memory I'm fairly sure I have is seeing a Sky Digital EPG frozen on Cartoon Network once? I'm guessing some channels got routed through a Sky box at a head end? And fairly sure a while before that, OSD text and static from a Sky Analogue box being broadcast on one of the channels. In probably about 2005 (grandmas house) I remember seeing a Windows 95 message box being broadcast on a few of the channels in the 40-50 range.

Quality operation huh! Wondering if anyone could confirm/explain these experiences. I'd also love to have one of those GI boxes back sometime just for the sake of it, despite it being useless..... Memories! If you have one, plug it in and put a video on YouTube! There's nothing detailed or good quality ATM. (And is Ireland still using these things?)

Freeview is somewhat similar to the service now in terms of channels available, and the locality of it. Regional channels etc, just lacks interesting things like PPV/Front Row, old cartoons and sport. We never used Front Row but I think I remember seeing it.... you'd call up a phone number and they'd enable it on your box?? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Before interactive EPGs were a thing, I remember in 1999 coming home after a day out and just staring at this channel which displayed an EPG and music. Can't remember if/when that got phased out.

I liked messing with the menus. But what did the F button do?? Engineer purposes? Frequencies? No idea never pressed it.

Anyone go through nostalgic patches wishing this stuff was still around or just me? Lets face it, it wasn't THAT great, but it was and still is cool to me. Hoping someone that would actually know the internals of this stuff would be able to answer!

Last edited by RWCable; 31-07-2018 at 11:14.
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote