View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 20:47   #19
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Logmein Hamachi VPN permanently affecting downstream speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
All it needs to do is alter one, maybe two registry keys. The trouble is there are potentially a *lot* of registry keys that it can alter.

I do a lot of mucking around with Windows, and while I don't do the low level mucking around I used to (I used to be someone who tweaked every single setting he could in an effort to tune Windows so it performs better, but I've long since found that Windows is now actually quite good at tuning itself, so the minimal performance gains I was getting weren't worth the hours of work I put into them), but I have frequently found the best solution if Windows is misbehaving, assuming you have good backups, and can re-install any applications easily, is a re-install.
I'm sure you are right. Although I deleted everything in the registry that had anything visibly to do with Logmein Hamachi, it is possible that a registry setting as altered. Frankly, few folk would have the time to trawl through all that systematically. I went for the quick solution.

Also, an app that messes up your settings like that with no option to change them and leaves a legacy of kludginess after uninstallation, is probably best avoided.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote