Thread: 'Home Server'
View Single Post
Old 27-05-2008, 17:10   #1
vbnmu
Inactive

vbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about them
'Home Server'

Hi,

Am trying to set up a home server on my old W2K desktop. There are 2 laptops being used in the house, one running Vista Premium, the other XP Home.

The W2K machine has around 80GB of space, with 3 partitions, one of 65GB, 8GB and 10GB. I got the desktop for cheap and thought I'd use it for downloads using different download softwares and for temporary backup of my files (as the main backup is my externall HDD).

I now find it a pain to have to switch on the desktop whenever I want to download something. Am hoping there is a way to manage everything using my laptop, via the home server! I hope this made sense!

I can do basic networking, i.e access the files on the desktop while on my laptops but I want to be able to run programs that will download onto the desktop itself. And maybe even install them on the desktop while using the laptop!

Any help would be much appreciated. I probably didn't explain myself too well though!

Thank you
vbnmu is offline   Reply With Quote