View Single Post
Old 21-06-2020, 01:54   #8
oscarandjo
cf.member

oscarandjo is on a distinguished roadoscarandjo is on a distinguished road
Re: Free wifi Booster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I love Ubiquiti stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's not clued up on managing enterprise network gear.

A decent consumer grade router will be far better than the Virgin Hubs and if you're going to run an ethernet cable to put a new AP in a better position, there's almost certainly no need for enterprise grade gear in a residential property.

Again, the Ubiquiti stuff is fantastic kit, great hardware, but it's not as simple to set up and manage as a regular consumer router. You need the management software running somewhere for a start (you can't easily just log in to the AP and configure it).
Yes, good points. In my experience setting up the Ubiquiti AP was pretty plug and play. I changed some WiFi channels, but that's no different from any consumer router where you might do the same. By default, it uses "AI" to automatically set channels and other settings.

Technically you only need a controller for the setup process (after this the AP runs without the controller). This can be done with Ubiquiti's app (which acts as a controller for the setup process) in the case you don't want to set up a controller on an old computer or buy a dedicated controller.

See: https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/se...ut-controller/
oscarandjo is offline   Reply With Quote