Thread: 200M Replacement router
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 11:04   #8
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Replacement router

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
nope, although using the shub in modem modem does tend to alleviate you pf many of the problems. I have had shubs 1, 2 and 3 in modem mode from day 1 and never had a problem with them.

This is the caveat though; having your own proper router is an absolute godsend providing you buy a decent one. You get what you pay for and as with the shubs, if you buy cheap then you get naff. Although routers aren't as entertaining as TVs and phones, they are even more vital than those items and arguably more essential as they facilitate those items and many others working and your enjoyment of them. Routers are something you indirectly use, enjoy and benefit from everyday. Investing in a proper router will provide you with a solid home network where everything will work seamlessly together without any dramas, great wifi coverage plus additional benefits such as settings your own DNS servers.

I have just crawled out of bed so I will take a look at the prices later and make some recommendations.
IMO times have changed and second router is no longer the better option.

You still have one of the same issues you always had no matter what stand alone router you buy and that is everything comes from a single point.

This is why I believe a decent Mesh system is far and away the better solution. You do not need to be in modem mode you just turn wifi off. This means you keep the switch in the router active. You then connect to your primary node in most cases giving you an extra lan ports meaning you have a full complement of 4 where the router sits. Then as I am sure you know you position the rest of your nodes so you get full coverage between them and roam between them seamlessly. If you want and buy the right Mesh system you can backhaul the nodes together. I simply run a cable outside my house and connected primary node to secondary node upstairs meaning full speed on both floors. I then placed a tracery wireless node on my landing meaning at every point in my house and up my garden and half way up the street I get full wifi speeds

This in my experience gives me better coverage than any modem/single router set up I have ever tried in over 20 years in the game
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote