View Single Post
Old 18-09-2004, 16:23   #157
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness
Re: NTL is call centre with longest wait in Mirror test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
You are, of course, quite right in everything you say.

What concerns me (and I should state, I don't work in tech support, however, I often end up performing a pseudo-tech support role in my existing job because of the relevant skills I have and the nature of said job) is that too many customers come on without apparently having ever touched a PC, and expect us to teach them how to use one.

I have no problem at all explaining things to non-pc literate customers who are just a little baffled, or even a lot baffled, that's part of the job. I do have a problem with customers who simply won't do anything to help themselves and threaten to take us to court etc because we won't spend two hours on the phone explaining what Windows is, what a keyboard is, what a start menu is, what a browser is, what the internet is, etc etc.

We can talk these customers through doing what they need to do with little difficulty, but they don't want that...they want a telephone crash course in using a PC, and if I do that, lots of other customers are waiting in a queue for their call to be taken, and that's not on.
In all fairness the reaons why I see things my way is that I work on a government contract, so we dont get general public as such. But yes I concede that some people want everything from you, sometimes its fairer to say sorry I cant help you any further, if you wish to make a complaint then......etc etc.