View Single Post
Old 18-09-2004, 16:09   #154
timewarrior2001

Services: Evilness
Re: NTL is call centre with longest wait in Mirror test

Problem number one.

Your a support agent, you are not god you do not know everything. If you think you do you wouldnt be working as a support agent. I work in a similar job doing support for all aspects of IT, we do not support procedural issues, but because I offer a level of customer service I will ALWAYS yes 100% of the time, try and explain how to do things we dont support.

Problem number two.
Members of the general public do not need a computer qualification to have BB installed. Therefore you cannot expect the general public to always understand what you mean when you talk to them. Because you have "some" techniacal knowledge that permits you to read a script and do basic fault finding over the phone does not give you an intellectual superiority over the person calling for help.
When I call I know my connection is down, I have re-booted several times I have everything I can find that may be of help including MAC address, yet I have still had Agents try and convince me that the reason my Modem does not work is because it was using the wrong power supply cable!!! Funny that really, because it did work then it didnt then it did (and miraculously after an engineer visited I had an extra power cable sat in the bedroom on the bed but there was no space for it to have come from.)

Problem three

Patronisation of the said customers on an unofficial forum where said customers come for help also is a bit dim IMHO.

problem 4

You are there to offer a support service for the users, if you dont have the patience to deal with the customer then I suggest you get yourself another job. Yes it is frustrating having to deal with the same problem for the 100th time that day, but thats what the job is about.

Problem 5

Some people dont phone because they dont understand what the problem is, some people know, but cannot fix it without intervention of NTL, they then have to contact NTL. Yet these people can be treat like a piece of **** because some pimply faced IT God has lost his temper.

You work in a service industry once again, if you dont have the right temprament to work there get out, do something else where you dont feel obliged to slag the customers off.

Its a sad fact that in the IT industry frist line support agents are the lowest of the low. We are ridiculed we know quite often less than the tip of the iceberg. Yet a high popercentage of first line support agents think they are gods gift to IT. What we do has very little to do with IT support. Get used to it get on with it and offer a level of service the customer needs instead of bitching about them on a forum.