View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 08:01   #6275
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If you will insist on trawling the web desperately looking for articles that seem to back up your fantasy predictions then you will make errors lie this.

The article you posted claims no such thing. Low latency is already achievable in the lab. There are a couple of solutions available and your article says many media companies will deploy them by the end of next year.

What they’re more coy about is precisely how low the latency can go in the wild. Note that while other technical journals say that latencies of 3 or 2 seconds are possible, half of the respondents quoted in the survey aren’t prepared to stake their reputations on achieving anything better than “less than 5 seconds”.

Believe me, if you’re trying to watch live football anywhere within earshot of someone listening to commentary on an FM radio, the latency present in even just a digital satellite broadcast can utterly ruin the experience.

The only good news about latency is that it will be around long enough that if you’re so minded, you can carry on doing the Pop Master trick in your workplace for the foreseeable future.
I was not deliberately trawling the web for this information, it popped up on one of the regular digital tv news sites I follow. What you have said isn't a million miles away from what I am saying, which is that the worst of the latency problem should be resolved next year.

Yes, 5 seconds is still too long really, but it is far more acceptable than 45 seconds!

---------- Post added at 08:01 ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That’s speculative on your part. There’s no indication that had anything to do with the tennis problems.

I’ve said there’s plenty of problems with live streaming, not least making a profit on a £5bn investment, so it’ll be interesting to see how it goes. No wonder they raided the bargain bucket rather than stumped up big money.

I suspect everyone in this field will want someone else to move first and take the risk. Just a shame La Liga is damaged goods, it’d be a way to test it week in week out with two big events per year.
You asked what would change by 2022. I gave you an example and a link to back it up. Your post proves really that you are just looking for an argument, jfman.

Quelle surprise....