View Single Post
Old 27-04-2022, 16:08   #42
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Celebrating 60 Years of James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I can confidently say I have never said that in my life
And yet you harp on at length about Oscar nominations, have opinions on all sorts of films and relentlessly share ‘how it should have ended’ type material on here. You clearly have strong views on how you think films *should* be made.

Quote:
indeed but it doesn't mean they carry the same weight or value today.
On the contrary, it means exactly that.

Quote:
The whole point is that they were fantastic for their time. Just because a film may have been ground breaking in the 1930s doesn't mean I want to watch it today. The Artist is a perfect example if you have seen it. Would you want an infantry battalion from WWII in our army today or a dot matrix printer? They were good in the day but that is where they belong.
… and here again you miss the point by a country mile, because for all your claimed interest in film, what actually titillates you can be very narrowly defined indeed. You want to be effortlessly transported into a situation as if you were there, without having to do any significant mental or emotional engagement of your own, and you dislike being challenged by a film ending in a way other than you want it to.

If that’s what you go to the cinema for, then fine. I won’t argue with that, plenty of people do so and are perfectly happy. But criticising classic films as being of less current value because of their age or production methods defies all logic. You might as well argue Leonardo da Vinci’s work is worth less because he used lead-based pigments in his paint.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote