View Single Post
Old 22-01-2020, 10:06   #96
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Harry and Meghan to step back as senior royals

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
I do dislike them and the institution they are part of, they come across to me as couple of spoilt brats and they're not irrelevant to me when I have to contribute towards them

Sadly not I fear, they only want privacy on their terms, serve them right if no bothered covering what they next want to flog, they don't seem to get that it's a double edged sword and you can't have your cake and eat it
But you don’t...

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/...paid-uk-499687
Quote:
The portion of the money that funds the Royal Family that comes from the taxpayer is called the Sovereign Grant.

This money is taken from the profits made by the Crown Estate, which is the Royal Family’s independently managed commercial property arm.

The profits go to the treasury to help with the administration of the country, and 15 per cent of those profits is given by the government as the Sovereign Grant to help fund the activities of the Royal Family.

This includes the upkeep of the palaces, as well as the official duties of the members.

The core grant, based on this 15 per cent figure, was £49.3m for the year 2019-18, up £3.6m on the previous year.

And from 2017-18, the Sovereign Grant was increased to 25 per cent in order to help cover the £368m costs of updating Buckingham Palace.

This means that the total amount for the 2018-19 year, taking into account the £32.9m increase, stood at £82.2m.

At the end of the year, any unused money in the Sovereign Grant is moved into a reserve fund, which is also used to help pay for the palace upkeep.

The royal accounts state that the Queen’s expenses for 2018-19 were £67m, so this year, £15.2m is being put into the reserve.

In the same year, the Crown Estate provided £343.5m to the Treasury, which was an increase of 4.3 per cent on the year before.

This means the 2020-21 grant is expected to be set at £85.9m.
tl:dr - the money to pay for the Royal Family (£82 million) comes out of the Crown Estate (£343 million), with the balance going to the Treasury.

(Even if we did pay for the Sovereign Grant, it is the equivalent of two pence per person per week).

nb- I’m not a Royalist
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote