View Single Post
Old 22-08-2016, 18:15   #81
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Should we suppose you are one of those people who thinks that anyone who accuses someone of rape or child abuse is making it up, because the accused denies it?

It's not an either/or situation - if someone is accused of a serious crime, it should be investigated; if the accuser is found to have made it up (as opposed to there not being enough evidence to convict, which is a completely separate thing), they should be charged with wasting police time.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I was actually addressing Richards statement that everyone who thinks they are bullied are actually being bullied which is clearly not the case .The logical train of thought for that way of thinking is that everyone is guilty of whatever they are accused of just because someone thinks they are
It was not a statement of my view, it's the law.

It really isn't sinking in is it- you have further caused offense by using the term "nutters" to describe those you believe to have mental health problems or disabilities.

It's like time travelling back to the seventies. The world, the law and society has moved on and it's time that you did too- for your own sake as much as anyone else's.

I was on the 'phone to our firm of solicitors early this morning about someone who has been harrassing somebody both in public and in private. Apparently, there are lots of eager young lawyers out there looking for test cases to put before the courts.

Interestingly, lots of low level repeated rudeness, jokes, snide sarcasm, claims made without foundation to discredit a persons character etc etc aimed at an individual can be used to create a bigger picture of harassment if this is unwanted and/or causing distress to any individual. If they are in a protected minority group, this could lead to an even more serious charge of carrying out a Hate Crime.

I agree that those guilty of posting every triviality about their life on line are foolish and irritating, but are you actually suggesting that they deserve to be bullied to the point of suicide for doing this?

Edit: Apparently, we do not have the absolute right to freedom of expression or the right to impart information, as these rights can be restricted by the law when appropriate.

I was also quoted a case where a pub landlord (part of our trade) repeatedly directed snide remarks, jokes etc at someone with a mental health problem. When the landlord subsequently barred him for pointing out that this was unlawful and causing offense, he barred him from the premises. The landlord was found guilty of a much more serious crime* as a result.

* I wrote it down, but I can't read my own handwriting

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 22-08-2016 at 18:45. Reason: Finally been able to read my own notes!
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote