View Single Post
Old 22-09-2019, 14:47   #33
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Business Service with 13 Public IP Addresses

Still having issues with this.

I mentioned before that I couldn’t stream video (Emby) remotely awesome single connection performance is so bad.

Last night I changed my dns record on Cloudflare to be proxies via their servers, immediately I was able to direct stream video without any buffering, when the IP was direct I had to set quality to 1Mbps, any higher and the video would freeze every 2 seconds constantly.

I have no idea how this has made a difference, I’m baffled.

Speed tests from inside my network are abysmal, my SamKnows box shows the Download and Upload performance has dived.

When I’m downloading stuff in multi connection mode, there’s no issue, it maxes out the connection 24/7, it’s just single connection performance where I have an issue.

---------- Post added at 13:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

Ok I think I understand what’s going on here.

Now I’m guessing that there is some sort of peering arrangement between VM and Cloudflare? Obviously the Cloudflare route stops at the Cloudflare IP, I’m going to have a look on Cloudflare’s site and see if they have a trace route from their proxy to my WAN IP. The route to the IP shows it going via Manchester for the GRE tunnel as i’d expect.

Just for completeness sake here’s the traceroutes, not that they mean much as the Cloudflare one is obviously not complete.

Route directly to my static IP:

Route to the Cloudflare proxy.

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

And here’s the route from my VM IP to the Cloudflare Proxy.

The route externally to my IP when going via Cloudflare proxy bypasses Manchester, so there still appears to be performance issues with the static IP addresses. ��

Fortunately the only thing that was annoying me was that I couldn’t play media from outside the house, but that’s now been fixed by using the Cloudflare proxy. This performance hit for single connections sucks though.

Last edited by fizzyade; 22-09-2019 at 14:10.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote