Thread: D Link Network
View Single Post
Old 14-12-2004, 01:11   #2
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: D Link Network

Ok, is it possible to restrict that router to only allow access from certain MAC addressses? If it is you could tell it the MAC addresses of the network adaptors for your machines and then (in theory at least) it would only allow connections to / from those machines.

Is your entire network wireless? I'm guessing that it isn't by the specs that you have posted above?

There shouldn't be any reasons why you can't operate the network without broadcasting the SSID. The way I understand it, your machines send out a broadcast asking if the network exists (by SSID) if your router hears the request (and recognises the SSID) it will / should respond and allow the connection.

To be honest I would have to agree that (in theory at least) 64 bit encryption is fairly easy to hack. What you have to ask yourself is - why would anybody bother?
If you live in a metropolitan / heavily built up area then you might run the risk of attracting the attention of (so called) war drivers. If you are on a quiet, leafy, housing estate then I would imagine that the risk is fairly minor.

Obviously I don't know your exact situation.........
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote