View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 15:56   #1702
Alien
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, V+, VM 10Mb
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Re: [Merged] Funny Pictures & Signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
I think they are blocked to stop people stealing bandwidth by hot linking.
Nope, they're not. If that were the case I wouldn't have been able to see them when I previewed my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikthius View Post
you have to visit the site before you can see the images.

this is just ridiculous.

I think if anyone is posting links, dont......
copy the images and upload them here for all to see.
Having to visit the site before being able to see the images would seem to imply a cookie being stored. If that were the case, then when I just downloaded & installed Opera & viewed my post in that I shouldn't have been able to see the images, except they showed up just fine. As to why I didn't just attach them, I'm unsure of how much total storage CF provides, as the attachment management page of the User Control Panel only lists the attachments, how many there are, & how much space they take up, not what the limit is, & I don't want to go using it all up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
That site obviously doesn't like embedded images. Try using links instead.
Embedded images work fine when I view them. I just did a test in the preview of my post to embed an image I hadn't viewed before [meaning it couldn't be in Firefox's cache], & it worked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
Errm...

The site seems a bit clever. Try cutting and pasting the link instead of clicking.
I don't think it's anything clever on the site's behalf, I've seen plenty of examples of the kinds of measures you seem to think they're employing, & it doesn't appear to be using any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia View Post
I agree, really really grates on me when i am reading a thread based on pictures and there is no pictures there The Girls/Lads you lust over.... desktop/workstation/funny pic etc etc are all examples of it from the older posts.
Some of that [in the GYLO thread] is because either the post has been edited by a mod to remove the image because it was in breach of forum rules, or the image is no longer available on the site it was hosted on [404 error when checking the image directly, I tried it on a number of them].

I'm curious as to whether some of those unable to view them are either doing so from work or from a computer with some form of net-nanny type software, as that site does have plenty of images that would be considered NSFW.
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote